Second-half Spireites Out-fox Leicester

Second-half goals from substitutes Ched Evans, Gary Liddle and Jay O’Shea saw the Spireites beat a Leicester CIty XI 3-1 in their final pre-season match.

Chesterfield were 1-0 down at half time after Liandre Martis put the visitors ahead, but the home side battled back after the re-start thanks to goals from Evans, Liddle and O’Shea.
The Spireites’ first chance of the game came down the right wing when Curtis Morrision cut inside and attempted to float a cross towards Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, but the ball went harmlessly out of play.
The away side were controlling the majority of the early possession but had little to show for it until Adi Muskwe escaped his marker in the penalty area. A low ball was swung into the forward, but he miss-hit his shot and allowed it to dribble harmlessly out of the area.
Moments later, Dan Gardner carved out Chesterfield’s second attack, releasing Dion Donohue down the left and the full-back delivered a cross back into the area but Ebanks-Blake had narrowly mis-timed his run and the ball swerved behind him.
It was Leicester who broke the deadlock when Gardner conceded possession deep into his own half, allowing Martis to pick up the ball. The striker turned his man, drifted forward and fired a shot into the top corner (24).
Finding space, Martis tried his luck once again, cutting in from the left-hand side and again struck from distance, but this time Ryan Fulton was able to catch the ball safely.
Chances remained hard to come by for either side, but a well-timed pass from Ritchie Humphreys saw Gardner race down the left-hand side unmarked and sent over a cross but keeper Ben Hamer came out and punched it to safety.
Ebanks-Blake had the Spireites’ best chance of the first half, collecting the ball inside a crowded penalty area before firing a shot just wide on the turn.
The Spireites almost equalised minutes into the second half when an O’Shea corner caught the Leicester defence off-guard. Laurence Maguire jumped highest and looked to have Hamer beaten, but the ball went past the post.
A further set-piece caused the away side another problem. O’Shea took it once again, this time playing the ball low and short, catching Leicester’s defence off-guard and Evans was allowed space to shoot but his strike went over.
The equaliser finally arrived in the 54th minute thanks to the craft of Gboly Ariyibi and Paul McGinn, with the latter swinging a ball into the box which was met by a thumping header from Evans.
The Spireites took the lead through a similarly worked goal. A well-placed cross from Derek Daly was met by Liddle whose header beat Hamer (62).
In search of his second goal, Evans drove forward and unleashed a shot from 25 yards, but while the keeper was beaten, so too was the post.
Continuing Chesterfield’s second-half domination, O’Shea collected the ball and sprinted forward, leaving two City defenders in his wake before passing wide to Ariyibi, whose shot was blocked.
Danny Wilson’s men finally increased their lead on 77 minutes when Mitchell was brought down in the penalty area and O’Shea stepped up to strike the penalty confidently.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s