Dewsbury Rams were unable to make it a Hat-trick of wins as they fell to a frustrating home defeat in a fiery encounter against Halifax.

The Rams went into the game in good form after impressive wins over Bradford and Oldham but spent the majority of the first 40 pinned back into their own half, until two tries from Scott Hale and Dale Morton gave the Rams an unlikely lead.

This was short lived as Gareth Moore and then James Saltonstall broke the Rams momentum minutes from halftime, punishing Dewsbury for missing their conversions as they took the lead.

Despite increased possession in the second half, Halifax were able to twice extend their lead with tries from Mitch Cahalane and Connor Robinson.

Halifax nearly took the lead two minutes into the match when fax drove their way down the right, but Sykes was able to easily collect Moore’s kick. The Rams then went in search of their own attack but were prevented from doing so by Ben Kaye and Adam Tangata.

Hafliax continued to attack but were unable to break Dewsbury’s strong defensive line, both Ben Heaton and Ben Johnson going close in the opening stages.

It was the introduction of Tony Tonks and Jack Teanby that swung the game in the Rams favour, Tonks battered through the Fax defence, creating a gap that Andy Kain and Scott Hale were able to exploit.

Sykes was unable to make the conversion, but made up for it when his cross-field kick set up Dale Morton to run in for a try on the same right-hand side. Although Sykes again missed the conversion.

Halifax finally got on the scoresheet themselves when Tyrer and Simon Grix set up Moore to dive down, Tyrer completing the conversion.

The Rams were made to pay for missing their conversions when Saltonstall was able to catch and convert score thanks to an impressive Scott Murrell kick. While Tyrer missed the conversion this time, it gave Fax the lead going into half time.

Dewsbury came out firing in the second half determined to recapture the lead, Matt Groat ignoring calls for a pass to drive through the Fax defence. He then released the ball to Sykes who made his way past two Fax players, but dropped the ball inches form the try line.

Despite the pressure Halifax extended their lead when Cahalane dove underneath the posts, thanks to a Robinson pass, Tyrer converting once again to give them a 16-8 lead.

A sin-bin each for Groat and Calahane left both teams short, but Halifax were able to increase their lead to 18-6 when Tyrer scored a penalty in the final 20.

This all but killed off the Rams and Robinson secured the points for his side, recovering his own kick forward to score a try in the final minutes of the game, Tyrer converting again to make it 24-8.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s