Dewsbury Rams were unable to follow up their victory against the York City Knights with another at the Shay Stadium, falling to a 23-14 defeat against Richard Marshall’s Halifax.

Dewsbury’s positive start was undone by Gareth Moore in the 11th minute. A last ditch tackle was not enough to keep Halifax at bay, as Moore snuck through the Rams defence. He just managed to touch down inches over the line, before Steve Tyrer struck the conversion.

The away side responded instantly, a Tommy Saxton error on the 30 Metre line gave Dalton Grant a chance, the winger dived down in the corner. James Glover converting from a difficult angle on the touch line.

Halifax instantly put the Rams back under pressure, some slick passing got them to within inches of the line, but Ed Barber dropped the ball and Dewsbury scrambled it away.

Dewsbury’s interplay was very fast as they attempted to pile some pressure back on to the home team and with the line getting ever closer, Kain tried to kick forward but the Halifax defence was too tight

It had been an attacking start from both sides and inside the first five minutes a high kick from Glover gave Dewsbury a penalty on the 10 yard line after Gareth Potts had knocked on. But the chance was squandered when Dewsbury dropped the ball.

Glover spotted the weakness and caught Fax out on numerous occasions, with the Rams playing a particularly kicking based game. However it was a penalty that lead to the Rams taking a brief lead, with eight minutes of the half remaining, Fax gave away a penalty for interference in the tackle which Glover successfully kicked for goal.

But as has often been the case this season, the Rams lost the lead on the cusp of half time. Dalton Grant spilled a cross-field kick and Potts was there to pick it up and dart over the line. Tyrer once again converting.

It left the Rams shaken on half time and they appeared to still be suffering on their return, Scott Murrell’s high kick found Ed Barber, who carried the ball and found Tangata. The interchange dragged it over the line, before Tyrer converted.

The Fax then stretched their lead after Dewsbury were penalised for offside, the home side decided to kick for goal and Tyrer was successful.

Dewsbury then looked like they could possibly salvage the tie when Nathan Conroy ran inside the offside men, winning the Rams a penalty. Etu Uaisele received the ball and scrambled it over the line, Glover once again converting from a tight angle.

Halifax refused to just defend their lead and continued to attack. Dewsbury failed to deal with a cross-field kick from Moore, but neither Dane Manning, nor Tyrer were about to squeeze it over the line.

The Rams were then caught offside during a Jacob Fairbank break and Halifax chose to kick, Tyrer converting well.

Then, with the sound of the buzzer ringing around the stadium Murrell successfully kicked for a drop goal.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s